Sabine Field at Haynes Family Stadium
Sabine Field was dedicated Oct. 8, 1921 and originally included a football gridiron, quarter-mile running track, and baseball diamond. The name commemorates Dr. George K. Sabine’s (Class of 1868) son, George K. Sabine, Jr. Sabine senior donated money for purchase of the land the field was built on.
In 1920, Dr. George K. Sabine provided the funds to allow the school to purchase the lands where the field still resides. Sabine, an 1868 graduate of Norwich, named the field in memory of his son, George K. Sabine, Jr., who died shortly after he returned from overseas. The original field, which was dedicated on October 8, 1921, comprised of a baseball diamond, a quarter-mile dirt track, and a football gridiron.
In the early years, Sabine served as an integral location for military training. For recreation, the field served as home to the school’s football and baseball teams, and was flooded in the winters for use as an outdoor ice rink. The Norwich University annual commencement ceremony was held on Sabine Field until the mid-1980's. Each fall at Homecoming Weekend, Sabine Field hosts the Alumni March On. At this ceremony, all returning alumni parade by class on to the field with the current year's Corp of Cadets.
Following the completion of the 2012 football season, the University began a 10-month renovation project.
This $6 million renovation has transformed Sabine Field from an area that served one sport and other miscellaneous activities - only when weather conditions and day light permitted - to a multi-sport, multi-activity, lit stadium that can be used in most weather conditions. Specifically, the project has added the following amenities to Sabine Field:
Synthetic turf field that meets NCAA regulations for football, soccer, and lacrosse.
400 meter resilient urethane running track with 42-inch lanes.
Energy-efficient stadium lights.
New sound system, bleachers, and press box.
New building to house appropriate storage for field and athletic equipment.
Walkways to prevent damage to field.
New equipment including goals, field goal posts and field care equipment.
- Creation of a hospitality plaza between Sabine Field and Plumley Armory and establishment of Memorial Plaza on the west end of the field, which is home to three Norwich icons--the anchor, the propeller, and Sabine Sally, a referbished WWII-era tank.
The field was officially reopened on Saturday, September 14th. The full-day event began with a rededication ceremony in the morning, followed by the grand reopening ceremony prior to the football game. Following the Cadets' annual battle with St. Lawrence, the new lights were turned as men's and women's soccer concluded the day with conference games against Albertus Magnus College.
On October 4, 2013, Sabine Field was officially renamed to Sabine Field at Haynes Family Stadium in honor of Fred Haynes '58 and his wife, RoxAnn. The Haynes Family have offered support to the University in numerous ways, including Fred's 25-year dedication to the Norwich Board of Trustees.
The press box now boasts a plaque commemerating the Haynes Family.
It reads: "A highly successful engineer and business entrepreneur, Frederick M. Haynes, Norwich University Class of 1958, has given generously of his time, talent and treasure to benefit his beloved alma mater. A natural leader and gifted statesman, he enriched the university through 25 years of faithful service on the Board of Trustees, serving as vice chairman of the board from 2003 to 2011. He also served as chairman of the university's "Leadership Campaign" from 1996 to 2001. An outstanding athlete and captain of the football team, he was inducted into the Norwich Athletic Hall of Fame for both football and hockey in 1988.
Fred, together with his wife, RoxAnn, have opened their hearts and their home to countless Norwich graduates, serving as hosts and mentors. They continued to demonstrate their loyalty to Norwich by supporting the project to renovate Sabine Field.
In recognition of their extraordinary service and for exemplary contributions to Norwich University, this stadium is dedicated in their honor, with gratitude, by the Board of Trustees and the President of Norwich University."