Shapiro Fieldhouse is a 50,000-square-foot multipurpose facility that contains a 200-meter indoor running track, four tennis courts, and a climbing wall. It is home to the Norwich tennis team.
The fieldhouse is used by all of the school's spring athletic teams for early season practices during the last few weeks of winter weather. The NU Corps of Cadets and ROTC units also use Shapiro for physical training.
Commencement, concerts, and other university functions also take place in Shapiro.
The building was completed in 1987 and is named after Jacob Shapiro, a 1936 Norwich graduate.
Shapiro served with distinction in World War II as an Army officer and retired as a colonel in 1946. In civilian life, he remained active as a successful entrepreneur and manufacturer and was a longstanding member of the Norwich University Board of Trustees.