NASHUA, N.H. – The Norwich University women's volleyball team faced off against the third-seeded Rivier University in Wednesday evening's Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) quarterfinal. The Cadets were able to hold even with the Raiders in each set through the midway point, but faltered down the stretch to eventually fall, 3-0.
Norwich (15-12, 7-5 GNAC) was led offensively by junior outside hitter Kathryn Farnum (North Andover, Mass.) who posted 15 kills while hitting .371 percent. She added 13 digs defensively in the loss. Senior outside hitter Michele Zummo (Highland, Mills, N.Y.) and Julia Schroeder (Victorville, Calif.) each notched seven kills. Freshman setter Sarah Farnum (North Andover, Mass.) amassed 34 assists while steering the offense. Senior defensive specialist Brianna Dawson (Katonah, N.Y.) recorded a team-high 14 digs.
Rivier (23-7, 11-2 GNAC) will advance to the GNAC semifinals where it will face the number two-seeded Simmons Sharks on Thursday.
The first set was close for the majority of its duration with neither team managing to build a lead of more than four points. With the score knotted at 19-19, a pair of kills by the Raiders combined with a trio of hitting miscues by the Cadets allowed the hosts to emerge with a 25-19 first set victory.
The second set followed a similar pattern with the scoring margin never expanding to more than two points until later in the set. With the teams deadlocked at 17-17, Rivier used a pair of kills and a service ace from Taylor Dunster to take a 20-17 lead. Norwich was able to side out twice, but could not string together enough points to climb back into the set, losing 25-20.
Set three was literally a carbon copy of the second set as the teams battled back and forth early before Rivier used a late run to close out the match, 25-20.
With the loss in the GNAC quarterfinal game, Norwich closes out one of its most successful seasons in the history of the program.
The Cadets set 15 new records as a team and individually. The statistics below help to quantify just how much success this year's team enjoyed.
- All-time team record for kills per set: 10.19
- All-time team record for assists per set: 9.64
- Most team kills in a match: 65 against Regis (10/26/19)
- Most team assists in a match: 59 against Regis (10/26/19)
- Most team service aces in a match: 49 against NVU-Lyndon (08/31/19)
- Single-game individual record for assists: 56 set by S. Farnum against Emmanuel (10/26/19)
- Single-season individual record for kills per set: 3.39 set by K. Farnum
- Single-season individual record for assists: 787 set by S. Farnum
- Single-season individual record for assists per set: 8.37 set by S. Farnum
- Single-season individual record for digs: 363 set by Brianna Dawson
- Single-season individual record for digs per set: 3.95 set by B. Dawson
- Individual career kills: 727 set by M. Zummo
- Individual career attacks: 2,293 set by M. Zummo
- Individual career digs: 1,160 set by B. Dawson
- Individual career digs per set: 3.69 set by B. Dawson